So when Tom Kapinos (Writer of Californication) navigated Season Two through a Gatsby story-arc, it most definitely gave me a “broner” (an unintentional, male-inspired boner).
It is not a perfectly cut adaptation. There are several characters and pieces of plot absent from Californication, while others are fleeting references. However, the core of Gatsby remains in the friendship developed between Hank Moody (David Duchovny) and Lew Ashby (Callum Keith Rennie) and the trials and tribulations therein.
I have meticulously combed through all twelve episodes of Season Two; noting Gatsby connections in dialogue, characters, setting, and plot. Also, I have documented relevant social and cultural references.
- Episode One – Slip of the Tongue
- Episode Two – The Great Ashby
- Episode Three – No Way to Treat a Lady
- Episode Four – The Raw and the Cooked
- Episode Five – Vaginatown
- Episode Six – Coke Dick and First Kick
- Episode Seven – In a Lonely Place
- Episode Eight – Going Down and Out In Beverly Hills
- Episode Nine – La Ronde
- Episode Ten – In Utero
- Episode Eleven – Blues From Laurel Canyon
- Episode Twelve – La Petite Mort