Who’s Who At This Point
- Hank Moody = Nick Carraway
- Lew Ashby = Jay Gatsby
- Janie Jones = Daisy Buchanan
- Trixie = Jordan Baker
- Ron Jones = Tom Buchanan
Parallelisms & References
- Although the episode mainly concerns itself with discussing the past between Hank and Karen, it can be viewed as a parallelism to the past relationship between Gatsby and Daisy – they were once happily together but then, as Hank says, “…people have a way of losing one another.”
- The title is taken from the Nirvana album of the same name, as well as refers to the impregnation of Karen.
- “Heart Shaped Box” and “Nothingman” are heard during the flashbacks, performed by Nirvana and Pearl Jam, respectively; thus, solidifying the early 90′s, grunge setting.
- Runkle tells Hank, “The self-loathing is strong in you today, my friend.” – a reference to the Star Wars phrase, “The Force is strong with you.”
- Hank says, “There isn’t a woman that I’ve met that I haven’t fallen in love with for ten minutes or ten years.” – this is a reoccurring theme in the whole of Californication (Hank’s father makes the same comment), but it also bears a connection to a very similar quote by noted playboy Robert Redford, who once said that he used to open himself to sex with any woman because he never knew what would happen, he never knew if he would fall in love.
- Ashby is wearing a Motley Crue t-shirt – a reoccurring reference to the band throughout the entire series.